Often when we talk about cost of living in Belize, people ask about what everyday things cost.
So today we had a full shopping list which including going to the butcher, the market and the grocery store, so it was a perfect time to capture it all together and share it with you.
This type of shopping isn’t an everyday thing for just the two of us, as you will see there are several items for freezing and long lasting things mixed in.
Total cost for everything on the table was $161.85bz ($81USD)
So let’s break it down…all prices in Belize dollars
From the butcher $62.85
6 Pork Chops about 3/4in, fresh cut to our request 2.89lbs total = $19.57
1lb ground beef = $5.25
2lbs smoked bacon, thick sliced $18.20
.672lb Mozarella cheese = $7.94
.849lb Chedder cheese = $11.89
From the market, aka produce stand $22
5 bananas $.50
10 apple bananas $1
Head of romaine lettuce $2.50
6 apples $6
1 bell pepper
1 large onion
5 roma tomatoes
(all the above items with no price are because I didn’t ask today but all those items total $12 all together)
From Chens, our favorite grocery store $77.25
4 bags of spaghetti noodles $4
4 cans of diced tomatoes $14.40
2 bags homemade macaroons $3
1 bag Garnachas shells (tostada shells) $2.95
1 bottle dish soap $4.50
White Rain shampoo $2.95
1 small bag of Thyme $1.95
1 small jar of Anise seed $2.50
1 5 gallon jug of Crystal water $4.
1 large can of Fish insect killer $7.50
3 quarts not from concentrate OJ $10.05
2 bags of bagels $9
1 large container of baby powder $3.50
1 box of mosquito coils $.85
16 oz sour cream $6.10
Oh and I was able to grab a picture of the butcher cutting the chops to Dennys request, since he will be the one cooking them, wink wink.
As I was typing I thought of some questions that you may be asking after reading our shopping list
- Why baby powder, you don’t have any babies in the house? Talc powder is a great ant blocker when sprinkled in the doorways and window sills. Also I sprinkle it on our down mattress cover, in the crevices when one of us complains that we felt kinda itchy at our feet after sleeping, just in case there are little things that we can’t see there.
- Mosquito coils, I thought you said bug are minimal where you are? Yes it is true, we hardly are bothered by mosquitos on a daily basis but the nights have been chilly and it has been nice to sit outside after dark and work on the computer. I am hoping that having a coils burning will help deter all the little bugs that are attracted to the light of the laptop.
- Why are you buying boxed OJ when you can juice it fresh yourself? Denny already prepares his daily drinking juice with carrots, apples, ginger, with his favorite Jack La Lanne juicer, so having the convenience of the natural OJ is just nice and its sugar free with no additives and preservatives, made in Belize.
- What are apple bananas? They are a delicious and even though they are banana they taste like you are eating a fresh apple.
- Why are you buying canned diced tomatoes when fresh are so abundant? Denny just made homemade spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes and it was divine, but he wanted to try it with canned for taste comparison.
If we can answer any questions on general grocery shopping feel free to leave a comment below or join in the conversation over on our Facebook page as well.
A FREE Gift just for You!
A Grown-Up's Guide to Happy Travels.
A mini-guide to help you avoid travel 'nightmares' and make travel memories.